What is a doula? The Greek word " DOULA" means woman caregiver. A doula is a professionally trained and experienced in childbirth who provides continuous physical, emotional, spiritual and informational support to the mother before, during and after birth. Doulas nurture and provide continuous support to the birthing person throughout labour and birth, no matter what decisions the mother makes or how she gives birth. A doula provides knowledge, skills and tools for not only the mother but for her support partner as well if present. A Doula can help women have a safe, memorable, and empowering birthing experience.
What is NOT included in doula support?
-Clinical tasks such as vaginal exams or fetal heart monitoring.
-Medical advice or diagnose conditions.
-Speak to the staff on your behalf.
-Make decisions for the client (medical or otherwise).
-Project any of my own beliefs onto your experience.
-Take over the role of the partner.
Benefits of Doula Services
- Personalized prenatal education
- Help in creating a birth plan
- Guidance on healthy habits and nutrition
Labor and Birth Support
- Continuous emotional support
- Physical comfort measures (massage, positioning)
- Assistance with breathing techniques and relaxation
- Support for partner or family members
- Breastfeeding guidance and support
- Help with newborn care and soothing techniques
- Emotional support and reassurance